Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82–83

    Heat, Sun and Daydreams

    December 8, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    My alarm woke me early in the morning, after a short night, filled with dreams about harpooning a Walruss (🦭😴) .

    We set off shortly after 8am, heading first to a local bakery for breakfast and then out of town.

    It was yet another hot day and 36°C without any shade along the way, as well as long straight and ondulating (meaning more uphills than expected) roads made the cycling feel endless.

    The sceenery wasn't the most interesting either and so I found myself daydreaming about hitch hiking for most of the day. I carried on pushing myself to cycle on in 10km intervals at a time, reminding myself every time that the riding conditions were not thaaaaat bad and thus hitch hiking was simply not an option. 👩‍⚖️

    We made it to the tiny village of Huaco in the afternoon, treated ourselves to an icecream and went on to search for a hospedaje.

    The only hospedaje of the village was on its very outskirts and fairly overpriced for what it was, but desperate for a shower we stayed anyways.

    For some reason the one restaurant in town seemed to be closed and so our only option to get some food was the hospedaje dinner, which unfortunately for us very hungry cyclists meant waiting another 4 hours...dinner time here is 9pm or later.

    On the good side this place also had a small pool and in contrast to yesterday there was still enough sunshine to enjoy it and distract ourselves from our rumbling stomachs!

    The hospedaje's dinner was nice - some sort of mashed potatoes with veggies and chicken mixed in - but not enough and I could have easily had 4 times as much...
    Still hungry but tired I went to bed and set my alarm for the - hopefully better - breakfast.

    🚴‍♀️Distance Cycled: 120 km
    🌡Daytime Temperature: 36°C+
    ⏲️ Hours spent on bike: 6.5 h
    🚗 Hours spent daydreaming about hitch hiking: 5 h
    🐈 Cats befriended: 1
    Read more