Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    The Water Festival - A Big 3-Day Party

    November 28, 2023 in Cambodia

    I was lucky. During my stay in Siem Reap, it was Cambodia's annual Water Festival, (Bom Om Touk), which marks the end of the rainy season and the victory over the Champa Kingdom in a boat battle on the Tonle Sap Lake (see floating villages post) in 1181.

    Anyway, the Water Festival runs over three days and is filled with all sorts of water-based activities, starting from countless boat races on the river to cycling above water, over-water boxing, and a big foam party every evening that is supplemented by additional water coming from a fire truck's hose.

    And one thing I have to say: the Cambodians can party! The music starts early in the morning and lasts until midnight for three days straight and the dance floor is always packed (kids midday/afternoon and teenagers/adults in the evening).

    A few travel buddies from the hostel, two locals that I met the day earlier and I opted to check out the boat races and walked through the streets that were lined with activities, street food stalls, colourful flags and kids having their fun with the water. In the evening, we went to Vanna's bar - the Cambodian I met the day before - before visiting a drag show at a local bar.

    The next evening, I opted to buy a flower candle and float it on the river for good wishes, before Vanna and I watched the midnight fireworks together.

    It was a really great experience to be in Siem Reap during the water festival - even if that meant the city was really busy. Never seen so many scooters. On my last day in Siem Reap, the festival was over and the city rather quite... a nice change in atmosphere and a more realistic picture of what Siem Reap is like 95% of the time.
    Read more