Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 45

    Exploring The Famous Angkor Wat

    27 novembre 2023, Cambogia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    After spending a few days in Siem Reap, it was time to explore the huge temple complex with the temple of Angkor Wat as its most famous highlight.

    6 of us hired a TukTuk driver/guide for 2 days of exploring. The first day, we opted for the sunset tour, which entails 5-6 temples in the so-called big circle (Angkor Wat itself was the next day). First of all, 6 people in a TukTuk is a challenge, esp in 30 degrees, but it worked. The guide even supplied us with water and cold towels.

    Anyway, the big circle was the perfect start into the world of Angkor Wat's temple complex, as the temples are generally a lot less busy and sometimes we even had some temples almost to ourselves. We learned a lot from the guide about the history of Cambodian's Golden Age (9th-12th century), how diamonds were used to light up parts of the temples, the way kings displayed their power, the end of Cambodia's glory, how stories were told by impressive stone carvings into the side of temples and just to get a general sense of what life could have been like back then. Unfortunately, we could not quite get to the sunset point, so opted for a little hill at one of the old entry gates instead - which still kinda worked.

    The next day, we woke up super early (3.30am) to watch the sunrise over the famous Angkor Wat temple. We were indeed the first ones in the park, but since the sun does not rise before 5.30am it was a painful wait. The reflection of Angkor Wat in the opposite pond while the sun rose, made up for it, though. Afterwards, we went inside the temple and explored the various levels, heard about the multiple wars and how Hinduism and Buddism sometimes co-existed and sometimes were at odds in the country.

    After that, 2 people in our group had to catch a bus and 2 other people gave up due to tiredness, which left me and Andrea, who I had met on the bus from Bangkok to Battambang and been travelling since. Over the next 4h we visted three more temples, one almost more impressive than the other. The two notable ones were Ta Prohm and Bayon. Ta Prohm is famous for its setting in the first Lara Croft: Tomb Raider movie and for trees growing over the temple - an impressive sight indeed. Bayon is known for its rich decoration and over 50 little temple tops.

    Post visiting the Bayon temple, we were very exhausted, but super happy and fascinated by what we have seen over the last two days. Memories that will most certainly last a lifetime.
    Leggi altro