Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Hoi An - A Magical Place (Part 1)

    December 27, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    After a few days on the beach it was time to head north and to one of the destinations I was looking most forward to on this trip - Hoi An, the city of lanterns. Due to its rich history of being an important harbour for Japanese and Chinese traders and subsequently being taken over by the French, the city is covered in colourful lanterns and yellow buildings. It’s a UNESCO heritage site since 1999.

    We had a total of six days to explore the old town and the surroundings and we took things slow in order to soak it all in. The pictures do not do the magic and beauty of the place justice, but give at least a flavour of how wholesome the old town is. It is dotted with beautiful little cafes and shops, a small river that sees lantern boats and candles floating on it every evening, a super yummy Banh Mi place and behind literally every corner is a new photo opportunity.

    The first day after our overnight train journey, we simply wandered around the old town and explored its magic - first during the day and then during the night. And both times, we were in awe. It simply is a place that is impossible not to fall in love with at first sight - especially in the evenings. Even if it is a bit touristy, it has not lost its charm at all.

    It is a place that I 100% want to come back to and highly recommend everyone to visit. It is, hands-down, the most beautiful town I have seen in my life.

    In the next post, I will detail some of the cool things we did in Hoi An and its surroundings.
    Read more