Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 22

    Impressions of Japan

    12 maj, Japan ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    It’s hard to put your finger on what makes Japan so unique and utterly enjoyable for us, but here are a few random observations:

    Everything is about 80% size—cars, electric meters, streets, hotel rooms—yet designed with thought and intention, simplicity, clean lines, elegance. “A place for everything and everything in its place” to the extreme.

    Politeness is ingrained—bus drivers bow to the bus when changing shifts; train conductors bow before leaving each car; taxi & bus drivers wear white gloves; flaggers near construction sites wear immaculate uniforms and take their jobs VERY seriously (and every construction site has at least 1 person working the sidewalk & street to ensure safety).

    No jaywalking. Japanese people all wait politely for the light to change because, as our guide explained, to stand out from the crowd or draw attention is extremely embarrassing. “The nail that sticks up must be hammered down,” is a well known Japanese proverb reflecting the culture’s emphasis on conformity & suppressing individualism for the sake of group harmony.

    Super, super safe. We saw little, little kids (like 1st grade?) walking to school by themselves in Tokyo near our hotel. Backpacks were half their size, like turtle shells. 😂 In our Airbnb’s little housing enclave, a caravan of kids on bikes assemble in a line near the main road leading into the neighborhood, then proceed to ride ~50m down the road to a “crossing” manned by a crossing guard(mind you, this is a road in the middle of nowhere), get off their bikes and walk them across the road before resuming their trek to school.

    The signage here is amazing—clear, concise, easy to understand, adorable graphics, lots of warnings for safety. Traveling by train, subway, & bus is a breeze once you figure out a few basics. See the “How To” post for tips & tools we found helpful for finding, booking & riding public transportation.
    Läs mer