Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 218

    Monday is a Hashing Day!

    January 7, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 79 °F

    Yesterday's adventure in mowing the lawns was exhausting. But we finished without injury and even trimmed the tree by the lake. Now you can sit under it without the branches hitting you in the head 😀. We took a dip in the unusually cold lake afterwards. Very nice.

    Our efforts in the lawn were very popular with the birds. One little female blackbird followed me around with the mower. She must have chicks to feed because she had a beak full of worms but wasn't eating them.

    We had a truckload of sparrows show up and even one heron. He seemed to have eyes in the back of his head because he'd stand perfectly still in the middle of the lawn by the lake, then run a couple of meters in any direction and snatch something out of the grass. The other birds finally got tired of him hogging the place and ganged up on him to shoo him away.

    This morning has been a lazy day and right now I'm feeding a couple of heels of bread to the black swans, a black backed gull, and a black billed gull named Frosty.

    Frosty, whom I like to call Wobbles, hangs out here by himself. Xerox doesn't think he's quite right. He leans a bit whenever he walks or flies, and his landings are like an Air Force cadet's first day behind the stick. Too funny. Most impressive, though, is that he dive bombs other birds with his poop. Quite a feat when you fly like you don't have a rudder. He swoops in above their six, then slows down, poop away!, and races off. Hysterical. He may not be right in the head, but he's a hoot to watch.

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the WORMS. ✌️
    Read more