Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    Carmague Trip & animal experiences

    July 16, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    This morning we left by bus for our shore excursion down to the Carmague Parc. The main focus was to see pink flamingoes and we were not disappointed. There were MANY of them in the bird sanctuary along with egrets, herons, and more. This sanctuary is now cared for by the grandsons of the man who started it. Lovely bird hide areas dotted the park and it is great that so many birds here fly from far away to get food safely - so the idea is working!
    Next, we drove down to the town of Saintes Maries de la Mer. Finally, we saw the beaches in France!! Today was the "Fete de Chevaux" and as this is the area with the small white horses. For centuries, these small horses have lived wild in the harsh environment of the Camargue marshes and wetlands of the Rhône delta. Here they developed stamina, hardiness, and agility apparently. The town was full of local visitors and there was a good horsemanship and horsewomanship show on display with various tricks done by good-looking horses with good-looking, well-dressed riders. The Cathedral was pretty good but it had relics based on two 'Marys' whose remains are in the church. As a Catholic who believes a lot, some of this stuff was a bit more legend than believable! By now it was getting pretty warm.
    Next, we went to the 'Manade de Layalle' which was a farm property. We were put on the back of a tractor to visit the bulls which are grown for their various Bull sports. It did sound like no harm was made to the bulls and the owner of the Agriturisme Farm did seem like a nice guy (Mathieu). The best part was the wonderful lunch they served us which included yummy tapenade, cheese and cheese pie, rather salty oxtail stew, and a good apple pie. We actually enjoyed it and learned a lot. Finally, the somewhat boring guide offered to take us into Arles but the heat and the fact that we have been there before (and this morning) - we chose to go back to cool down and rehydrate. It was a hot but good day.
    Read more