Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 29

    Day 19 -The end of our hiking the Camino

    3 czerwca 2023, Hiszpania

    At a glance:
    Cultural highlight: Street Market in Sahagun and Easter procession platforms carrying Christ stored in the local church
    Food highlights: Small pastries included with coffee (similar to Portuguese de nadas: little nothings)
    Kilometres walked: under 1k, under strict orders
    # of steps: 5,560
    Elevation gain: doesn't matter anymore, but since you are curious we did hike up and down 1 set of stairs.

    On this morning we caught a taxi with Paula and a Japanese pilgrim to Sahagun. It took less than 30minutes by car what would have been 2 days walk. We walked into town and found a coffee shop on the Camino and set up to wait until the train to Leon went at 5:45. There was a market along the adjacent street and we joined the crowds looking for attire to wear to my niece's wedding. Prices were good but there was nothing suitable as it was all too gaudy or flouncy. Paula bought a sun hat. I bought a wallet. After we went to the market we took off our packs, stored them st the cafe and went to explore town. There was a church open so we walked in to investigate. This church had figures of Christ carrying the cross and it was meant to be carried on the platform float in processions through the town to the church.
    Back at the coffee shop in the afternoon we met two Englishmen who came from Newcastle so they joined us walking and waiting by the train station. By this time the sky darkened and it started to rain. We found the station open and continued to wait inside. There is only a short time to get on the train before it departs so we practically jumped aboard. It only took an hour to go to Leon. Liz and I had booked into the EC hostal on the outskirts of town so we walked there, checked and then went searching for some place to have dinner. We eventually found a restuarant over the river.
    Czytaj więcej