Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 109

    Wellington

    December 28, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We were sad to leave the farm but felt it was time, mostly because we still had alot to see and do before we catch the ferry to the south island. We headed down towards Wellington. It was our first time back in a bigger city since Auckland. Of course, there are a bunch of mountain bike parks in and around the city we wanted to check out and apparently a really cool museum too. Since the sun finally came out we decided to stop on the way down to Wellington at the Putangirua Pinnacles by Cape Palliser for a little hike. Another LOR filming spots Haha. It reminded me a bit like the hoodoos we have at home.

    We spent 4 days around Wellington, which was broken up by a 2 night detour back up to Tongagriro area for a visit with old friends and some more hiking for New Years Eve. While we were in Wellington we checked out a few biking areas: Matara Peak, Mt.Victoria and lower Hutt area. All were pretty great, with Matara peak being my favourite. We did our touristy duties and checked out the Te Papa museum and went for a walk around the waterfront as well. The museum had some cool parts - mostly these amazing life-like gigantic statues of world war I soldier but besides that it was just a crazy tourist zoo! We also went exploring to find a friend we met back in Taupo who was a coffee roaster and made the best chocolate cake ever! But unfortunately he was still on xmas holidays. So we found a brewery instead. Both Keegan and I really enjoyed Wellington. For me, its the perfect size city and has a really beautifully set up. They call it windy Wellington for a reason and the only crappy part is the crazy winds and often really rainy weather. But on a good day, it definitely made me want to stay.
    Read more