Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 11 Camino

    June 11, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Leaving Burgos this morning was cold... At 7am it was only 4oC!!! We fuelled up with a coffee and croissant ☕️ 🥐 at the strategically place cafe - opposite the municipal Albergue entrance. Then walked out the city, past the magnificent cathedral, the university and homes into the countryside. All four of us, back together, were in good spirits. The boys said they would see how the first 11 km went (after resting up their feet for th last few days). That came and went in a flash, both happy to continue. The Meseta begins outside Burgos - a large flat plane area in Spain, where distances can be deceptive. The track though is not flat, usually distort and fine gravel, but at other times stoned and quite painful to the feet; ripping the skin and causing blisters. Sure enough, 5km later I had to perform field meds to one of the boys on a newly formed blister. (Later, after the walk having to deal with both their feet again - draining and bandaging them up). Rain clouds were low but blown quickly past in the chilly wind; only to burn off in the afternoon to warming temperatures of 16/18oC. One ‘spike’ in th walk today rested the pain thresholds of the boys - rough stone gravel steeply up and down slowed the reasonable pace we had been keeping. We stopped soon after to rest and lunch in Hornillos del Camino. 11 more km to go... more painful, but with AirPods in the boys persevered and we kept at least a 4km pace along the flat dust track between corn and maze fields. We hit a 2km sign, a 0.5km one too - but no village insight. It wasn’t until we were virtually on top of Hontanas that is revealed itself from a low valley. (The usual shower and sleep for some, I wandered the village -investigating the church and sorting out dinner for the evening). Food cooked with love, G&T for Tracey and a large sangria to share we enjoyed dinner to the sounds of Spanish singing and guitar playing.
    Late to bed now - another blister clinic (coverings i the morning) and the blog to do.
    Read more