Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Zanzibar Island

    July 29, 2017 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Yesterday we took a two hour ferry across to the spice island, known as Zanzibar. The capital, also Zanzibar, is home to the old trading port area of Stone Town where spices and slaves were traded. Originally part of the Silk Road trading route and later the spice trade. The main exports from the island are spices and sugar.
    We drove up to the north of the island to Nungwi, which is a modernish beachfront 'resort'. Several hotels and bars line the white sand beach and is relaxed and fairly low key - certainly not a party resort.
    After an afternoon on the beach and the obligatory sundowner, we had an excursion the day after to Prison Island and snorkelling. Just off the coast of Zanzibar town, the small island was originally built to house prisoners in 1894. Due to an outbreak of disease, it became a quarantine island instead. Now home to hundreds of giant tortoises bought over from the seychelles some are over 190 years old, love cabbage leaves and a tickle behind their ears!
    Snorkelled just off the island where the reef drops away to deep turquoise ocean. Saw some beautiful angel fish before a fantastic fruit and samosa lunch aboard the boat. Finished the day with a meal overlooking the sea with 6 of the guys from the truck, plenty of laughter and a couple of small drinks.....
    Read more