Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Stone Town day 2, Zanzibar

    July 31, 2017 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Dinner last night was street food from the night market in the Forodhami gardens on the promenade. Packed with locals it was a great spot for people watching, particularly the crazy kids sprinting and then jumping off the harbour wall. Most somersaulted and spun before belly flopping or face planting into the water. Definitely style over entry. No asking for money, just because they enjoy doing it.
    Stone Town is predominately Muslim, with 50 Mosques plus Islamic schools in a relatively small area. The dress is more conservative than many places we've been so far and as a consequence of the faith is quieter and friendlier- many people want to chat and ask questions (in other cities this is often a lead in to trying to sell something, go to their shop or ask for money).
    More wandering the streets including the meat, fish, vegetable and spice markets. Despite first appearances the meat/fish market doesn't smell and is very clean. This is the sort of place all the meat we eat in restaurants or buy for the truck comes from.
    The architecture is a bit 'faded glory' and would have looked spectacular when new, with influences from European colonial styles.
    Stone Town is definitely a place we've fallen for.
    Read more