Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Victoria Falls part 2

    August 22, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    A walk from the camp to the actual falls on the Zimbabwe side, looking across the gorge at the Zambia falls. They are currently at low water so separate into smaller falls rather than one large sheet of water (when it is high water not much can be seen due to the spray and mist). Walked along the gorge edge seeing the various falls including devils pool & cataract, rainbow fall and danger point which we dangled our legs over the cliff edge - of course!
    There were plenty of warthogs to keep us amused.
    A European style cafe has fed us well with excellent steak, wine (theme emerging!) and friendly staff as a break from truck cooking and the starch/carb based African diet. Zimbabwe also has a fantastic pie industry, with proper meat/Cornish varieties available in markets.
    On another day we watched James Junior (another guy on the truck whose middle name is Richard and ipad unlock code spookily similar!) jump and slide into the gorge from a beautiful cliff top cafe. Walking back to town through the bush, we saw 6 wild elephants grazing - viewing from around 75m away, far enough to run if needs be.
    Louisa had a close wildlife encounter when she found a scorpion in the pants James had been drying on the line - dread to think of the consequences if he had stayed hidden...........
    Read more