Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4b-Sun mar 24 - lookout mtn pix

    March 24, 2019 in DR Congo ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    4. Off to Table Mountain where we hiked the North trail. It was pretty crowded there with respect to parking so we had to park probably ¼ mile down the highway from the trails. It is a 3.5 mile loop (or is it 1.5 miles?) with the gradual side being 3 (or 1 miles??) miles long and the steep side 0.5 miles long. Of the 3 ratings for hikes, the steep side is rated “advanced”. Since time was limited, we did the steep side and got to the top in a whopping 20 minutes, even with a very long 5 minute rest for me within 50 feet of the top. It seemed like forever to go back down (especially if it was just 1 mile) but we did make it. Along the way Rachel (and the rest of us) passed Peyton and his wife, but we didn’t know it; just her.
    5. By the end of the hike, I had done 19,500 steps and Rachel had done over 20,000 steps. Were our feet tired??? Yes, they were!!!
    6. On the way back we stopped at a King Sooper (part of Kroger chain) but not the one within walking distance of her home). It seemed to me like a Whole Foods sorta in that they had a soup bar, classy cheeses and a swanky produce section.
    7. While Nick prepared dinner, R and I went to the Arvada “old town” area, where Rachel, Nick, and Dana had previously rode their bikes to for a chocolate fundraiser; I definitely want to come next year for this event. We stopped at the most popular shop on that fundraiser and bought breakfast for our Monday hikes: Rheinlander Bakery. I got a Danish, R got an almond “Danish”, and we bought Nick something that looked like a giant butter cream filled cannoli.
    8. Nick made his famous lasagna but we didn’t have time to actually make a sauce so that was bought. We picked up some day old bakery brownies and Dana brought a healthy salad.
    9. After dinner, the four of them played euchre and I sat next to Rachel doing a little advising because she is trying to master the game. That night she won both sessions with Henry as her partner; she had never won before.
    Pix 1-3 Lookout mtn views
    Read more