Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Manuel, Manuel!

    January 25 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    If the last entry seemed a bit strange and cryptic, it might be partially due to a book I am reading, Leech by Hiron Ennes, an extremely bizarre novel that has, it seems, infected me with its own special brand of seriously weird Sci-fi horror.

    I am loving Manuel Antonio! The beach is wonderful - nice sand, good waves for body surfing, and best of all, good shade cover from the multitide of almond trees that reach out over the sand. There are bars and restaurents at one end of the beach strip if that's your thing, and a couple of grocery stores too which is our go to for beers and snacks. Costa Rica is a bit on the pricey side in general and Manuel Antonio especially, made worse by the fact that things are often priced in US dollars, which means an extra 35% for us Canadians. So a meal in a restaurant here costs about the same or more than in Toronto. Yikes!

    Sunsets are spectacular here, and our accommodations are very nice. There is a good restaurent here (I think but have never actually eaten here) but there is also a kitchen with a big fridge and stove, and a communcal eating area. So mostly, we have been preparing and cooking (thanks Rowen!) our own meals here.

    Either at the beach or on the hotel grounds, which have a few acres of jungle trails, I have, to date, seen many species of beautiful birds, three different types of monkees, iguanas, geckos, a frog, and an agouti.

    Sharing all this loveliness with my good friends, Mike, Beth and Rowen makes it all the more sweet. I so wish Gi was here to share all this with me but alas, one cannot have everything. We will have our time together in Thailand in April so patience, grasshopper, patience.

    Tomorrow morning we're hiking Mnuel Antonio park, and then it's off to Domincal where we'll add one, Flora, to our merry band of travellers.

    Pura Vida!
    Read more