Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26–29

    Adiós Guatemala!

    February 11 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    My last days in Guatemala were spent with Beth and Rowen in San Pedro la Laguna, a lovely town on the southwestern shore of Lake Atitlan 1,610 m above sea level, that has managed to keep much of its charm despite the many tourists, travellers and digital nomads who stay here for varying lenghts of time. Apart from the main drag that runs along much of the shoreline with its many hostels, hotels, restaurants, cafes and tour operators, the town provides a solid workout with its delightfully hilly, winding streets and alleyways. And like all towns and villages around lake Atitaln, people get around mostly by foot, motorcycle or tuktuk.

    I was going to hike San Pedro volcano, which, along with the short, sunrise hike to Mayan Face, is the most common activity engaged in by travellers to San Pedro. However, since I was planning to hike a volcano in Costa Rica with Maikel a few days later, I decided instead for a little walk, with Beth and Rowen, to the very cute, neighbouring village of San Juan La Laguna, and then Playa Las Cristalinas where we enjoyed a well deserved beer at Nicks Place Las Cristalinas on the verdant outdoor patio, marvelling at the beautiful plants, flowers and hummingbirds.

    The pics attached to this post are all fom San Pedro. I will post again with San Juan La Laguna, Playa Las Cristalinas, and Nicks Place pics.
    Read more