Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8–10

    Monkey Madness in Lopburi

    April 9 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 36 °C

    Oh sure, the Khmer ruins are cool, but the main draw for many who visit Lopburi, a laid back town about 3 hours north of Bangkok, are the macaques. They are plentiful, sometimes playful, sometimes agressive, and always looking to steal your food or maybe even something shiny that's not firmly attached to you. Thankfully, they mostly stick to the area around the train station, the Khmer shrine - San Phra Kan - and the Khmer temple - Phra Prang Sam Yot, which is where they climbed onto Gi.
    https://apnews.com/article/thailand-lopburi-mon…

    Apart from monkeying around, we also ventured out to the...interesting Cat Cafe & Hotel where one can enjoy a tasty beverage in the company of about a dozen cats running around. I imagine some cat non-likers are shaking their head in disbelief right now. It was weird for sure, even for a cat lover like myself but it was fun. The owner just likes cats and has built a very swanky place for the cats to live and play. The other activity we engaged in, and the one that got us stranded about 8km from our accommodations, was the pretty cool Z-1 night market. We left at about 8pm which was apparently late enough for there to be no buses, no taxis, no tuktuks, no way to get home. Fortunately, I had a Thai SIM card and was able to call Pee, the owner of Pee Homestay & Massage, where we were staying, who got her cousin to come pick us up. And that was how we ended up being three people on a scooter, at night, zipping along at decent clip, wind blowing through our helmet-less hair.

    On to Sukhothai next!
    Read more