Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Maria Gair: Self-aware since 2018

    June 23, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    For over 20 years, when one travels with Maria, one packs an “opera outfit”. Maria was never the one to go to the clubs all night or party until dawn, but if there is a professional opera in town, expect to attend. Maria planned all along that her contribution to the Madrid trip would be the elevation of entertainment and cultural experience, so she checked the schedule for Teatro Real. It took a few days, but in the end Maria did decide that taking two 12 year olds to a 3+ hour opera in which, near the end, the heroine is assaulted, goes mad, kills, and then dies herself in torment might not be the best way to encourage a budding love of the arts. In a shocking display of self-awareness, Maria admitted that the opera wasn’t the answer to all life’s questions and needs. Maria turned to the symphony schedule. For a quarter of the price and far superior seats, we could see a violin concerto for Amelie, who, coincidentally, plays the violin.

    Not to pat herself on the back...but it was magical. Possibly one of the most enjoyable soloists to see perform. Isabelle Faust was technically amazing and mesmerizing as a person...and she signed autographs at intermission. (Oh...she also wore the most enchanting crepe dress that flowed with the music.) My work here is done.

    In the “morning” (12:30 pm), we again met up with Profe Alicia for “drinks and snacks”. Apparently that translated to a 2 hour walking tour in 90 degree heat. I thought we had lost Ian to heat stroke by the end, but he rallied when we then took him to “Museo de Jamon” (museum of ham.) Ham cures all...

    The city tour was also magical (magical realism with the heat😂.) To have a native “madrileña” show you her town...and then have that native be a Professor who, like, knows things. We started by eating the best fried cod ever in the place where Spanish socialism was founded and ended by the Royal Palace. In between we saw the oldest bookstore, the Plaza Mayor, the fish and food market, the caves, and the many more Meninas. Spanish was spoken. Facts were learned. Sweat was plentiful.

    Today we rented a car and drove to Toledo...more on that to come...but know that it’s been a tough two days for Martin. First, I ate an entire plateful of fried sardines and told him about it. Two, we saw Dvorak and Strauss’ Alpine Symphony with a famous soloist for 20 euro. Three, the Peugeot we rented was not available, so we are in...an Audi A4. 😃
    Read more