Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Erg Chebbi

    December 26, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Riding camels and camping in the desert is one of the most touristy things you can do in Morocco, but that doesn't make it any less amazing. We left around 3.30PM, arrived in our camp before sunset, had dinner there, played music, and woke up early to see sunrise and head back.

    There are tons of camps around the area, and your hotel or riad should be able to arrange this activity for you. Some of them offer luxury options (totally unnecessary, I think.) In our case, we went with a very small group (two guides, a Korean girl and her mom - who were really friendly - and the two of us.) This may be a great option for some, because you get to enjoy the desert without a bunch of other tourists, but others may prefer going with a larger group and party harder, I'd guess.

    There are some things you should know if you plan to do this.

    Weather
    Weather is going to be a bit extreme. If you go in December, as we did, daytime temperatures will be great, but it will get very cold at night. If you go in the summer, I can only guess the heat is going to be brutal. I carried several layers, gloves and a beanie, and I was happy I did. You'll have blankets, but it'll still be cold.

    Bags
    You won't be able to carry much with you, but that's OK. You can take a small backpack with water, basic toiletries, extra clothes, sunscreen... You can leave the rest of your luggage in the hotel, and normally they will let you take a shower in the morning when you get back, before leaving. Be aware that you won't have toilets at a normal camp, and that it'll be dark at night, so plan accordingly. I brought a small headlamp and it was very useful.
    Read more