Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Huntress Slot Canyon in Kanab

    December 27, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    After flying to Las Vegas and spending the night in our hotel in Mt Carmel, we started the day pretty early. We wanted to see if we could get a permit to visit The Wave. Permits for Coyote Buttes North, which you need to visit The Wave, are given through a lottery, and only twenty people are allowed each day. Permits for a total of ten people are issued via an online lottery, and ten more are issued via a walk-in lottery at the visitor center.

    With that in mind, it's not surprising that we didn't get one. It was disappointing, I guess, but the truth is that we had barely planned this trip, so it's not like this is something we had been dreaming of for months. Besides that, this may not have been the best time of the year to see it, since it was snowing.

    In any case, after wasting an hour at the visitor center with all the lottery shenanigans, we went to have breakfast and plan the rest of the day. We found a coffee shop, Jakey Leigh's, that served a pretty decent breakfast with eggs, bacon, and good cappuccinos, and we decided to do a hike nearby.

    This ended up being a great decision. We went to the Huntress Slot Canyon. It's an easy and beautiful hike, perfect for the snowy day, although we didn't do the whole thing.

    We had rented an SUV AWD vehicle, so we drove on HWY 89 and turned right on road 106L. We kept going for a bit and left the car to continue walking. I'm not sure if we wholly followed the map, but I believe we walked until we reached the canyon trough 106V and continued to 106T. I would say we only did half of 106T before we turned back, but all this part was terrific in the snow. We were the only ones around, and going through the rocks was very fun. There were also a lot of animal footprints, which we enjoyed following. It kept snowing for a big part of the hike, but it didn't feel too cold, and we were well prepared.

    We were back in the car around 2.30 PM or so, and by then, I was quite tired, but we decided to have some snacks we were carrying and continue to Bryce to make the most of the day.

    We stayed here, and it was convenient, comfortable, and clean.
    Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge
    https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-i…

    This is the hike we did. It was a lot of fun and accessible on a snowy day.
    https://visitsouthernutah.com/wp-content/upload…

    More information about the trails can be found here:
    https://visitsouthernutah.com/trail-maps/

    And if you want to try visiting The Wave, which we didn't do, check this out first:
    https://www.thewave.info/

    Oh, we also used this app, Kanab Trails, to help guide us.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=c…
    Read more