Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Ocean kayaking

    November 19, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We walked up early to go kayaking in the ocean. It was the perfect day for it! Not too sunny, not to hot nor cold, not windy.

    We had booked our tour with Rope Adventures, an agency that does a lot of activities such as canyoneering and paddle boarding as well. We met our guides at 9.30AM and drove too our departure point on a bay in the northern part of the island.

    The tour was fun! The water wasn't too choppy and the guides were nice and friendly. And the coast, like everywhere else on the island, was lovely.

    I should have guessed that the ocean waves would make me seasick, because halfway through it I wasn't feeling that well, but so it goes. We still got to jump in the water before paddling back to the shore.

    Afterwards, and after stopping at the hotel to take a shower and eating a sandwich at Sandoxa, we headed to Monte Brasil for a hike. This is a big green area in the city, next to a fortress, and we were looking forward to it, but unfortunately it was closed to visitors because of the deers mating season. The views from the fortress were beautiful though, so the walk there wasn't a waste of time.

    We still wanted to walk some more so we went to the Duque da Terceira gardens, next to our hotel, all the way to the top, where an obelisk from 1856 (Memória a D. Pedro IV) faces the city. This is a really nice city walk, with beautiful plants and stairs, a cute fountain, and good views.

    We had dinner at a restaurant, Elio's, that offered Portuguese food as well as pasta and pizza.
    Read more