Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    First day in Santa Fe

    December 20, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    There's not a lot on the road between Roswell and Santa Fe, and we stopped for lunch in the only restaurant in miles, the 50's style diner called Penny's. We arrived in Santa Fe around 3.30PM and stopped for a coffee at a travel-bookstore-meets-cafe, Travel Bug. I feel we need to ensure Joan's travel memoir makes it here whenever it gets published!

    We haven't had time to see much of Santa Fe yet, but so far, it looks like a very cute and friendly town. We walked down Canyon Road, a beautiful street full of art galleries. The buildings are lovely! The gallerists were welcoming and explained a lot about the artists. Steve Elmore Indian Art, for example, had a nice collection of Native American art with beautiful pottery. TKTK showcased a lot of TK kinetic sculptures, which were super fun to play with. TKTK showed us the work of TK, a Chilean artist now based in Santa Fe who makes gorgeous sculptures. And I really would have loved to buy the colorful wood furniture we saw at TKTK.

    The galleries shut down at 5PM and we went to our hotel, Las Palomas, which I loved. Coincidentally, we had dinner at a nice restaurant also called Paloma that served delicious Mexican-inspired food.

    It felt quite cold walking home, and the river and streets were iced, but I can't wait to see more of the city.
    Read more