Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Fraser Island

    October 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Early start today as we set off from Noosa to Fraser Island. We had pre-booked to go with a tour company called ‘Drop Bear’ for 3 days and 2 nights around the Island.

    We met the tour group (30 of us) and drove in 4x4’s to Fraser Island (a.k.a K’Gari) which is about 1.5 hours up the coast and then across on a barge ferry.

    The tour guide asked for someone sensible to drive one of the 4x4’s across to the island so I picked Martin! Everyone else in our car were European so weren’t used to driving on the left. There were 4 vehicles driving in convoy and we all communicated via radios.

    Once we arrived at Fraser we headed to our camp, after having a lovely welcome from some dolphins swimming really close to the shore. There was one big communal tent where we had our meals and then all the individual tents around the outside. It felt as if I was on brownie camp!

    We weren’t allowed to keep any of our personal belongings in the tents as the native Dingos would smell it and rip the tent open to investigate.

    We headed out in the 4x4’s all day which meant lots of off-road driving on the sand.

    We headed to an old ship wreck which was an abandoned ship from the 1940’s.We then went to a fresh water creek and had a little swim. It was like a lazy river, you could just float all the way down it. Apparently we don’t need to wash/shower whilst here on Fraser Island as all the creeks we go in have water that is so pure...

    We had a BBQ for dinner (steak and sausages) with some goon (red wine).

    H x
    Read more