Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Wrapping up phase one . . .

    September 8, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Tomorrow we meet our Road Scholar group for transport to Foligno. Today we figured out how to use the light rail system and got oriented at the main train station for the train out to the airport where we will meet the RS group.

    The Baths of Diocletian were an easy walk away. Built in 10 years about 300 A.D. This was "Huuuge". It originally covered 30 acres and could accommodate 3000. The bath I am standing in was 4 feet deep with a surface area of 32,000 square feet. This facility was in service for 237 years.

    Next we found the Trevi fountain. It is impressive but probably more amazing was the number of people that where also there. Great watching couples, young and old toss coins in the fountain pool.

    Then on to the Spanish steps. Factoid of the day -- the Spanish consulate to the Vatican is located here and has been for 300 years. When the newly weds appeared everyone rushed to snap their picture.

    Last stop of the day was a church recommended by Val -- Santa Maria Della Vittorisa -- location of Bernini's best known statue -- the swooning Saint Teresa in ecstasy.
    Read more