Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    61/62: Goree Island & Slavery

    March 12 in Senegal ⋅ 🌬 75 °F

    Today’s subject is slavery. While American textbooks focus on Africa as a whole, majority of slaves were taken from West Africa and specifically Senegal, due to its strategic location from Europe, South America, and North America. Specifically the Portuguese and French set up a transition post on an island 30 minutes from Senegal named Goree. Here they would test the durability and sublimation of men, women, and children by putting them through countless torture and inhumane conditions. It’s estimated 6 million West Africans lost their life while on Goree.

    It was an emotional and enlightening experience to visit the Slave House and see the conditions faced. The Door of No Return was considered the last stop where West Africans were taken to the boat and never seen by their families again.

    We are grateful for our guide Elhladg who currently lives on the island and was able to provide perspective on both historical and current acts of colonialism and imperialism in Senegal. If you do plan to visit Senegal, we have his phone number and would recommend his guided tour.

    Spots:
    Goree Island
    Slave House
    Read more