Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 80: Badi Palace & Hookah

    March 30 in Morocco ⋅ 🌬 72 °F

    Mary woke up with a headache today so Kieran hit the road for the Badi Palace. Construction started in 1578 and ended in 1593. Posted throughout the palace was historical pictures of the Medina and Kieran liked seeing the old markets and street performers.

    We planned on switching hostels to move into a more bar friendly district and chose Villa Yousra in Gueliz. The host Soofstayh taught us how to pour Moroccan tea and invited us to share Iftar with his childhood friend; we ate Moroccan style only using our hands and talked about Hollywood movies and interesting facts Soofstayh had on hand. For instance, we learned Morocco was the first country to recognize US independence and that cats with three colors can only be female.

    Finally we visited a hookah (shisha bar) and basked in the ambiance of smoke, fútbol, and Moroccan pop music videos. It was an awesome evening and we talked until 12am as our host was working really hard to obtain a US visa because he wanted to attend the World Cup in New Jersey.

    Guest House: Villa Yousra

    Spots:
    Badi Palace
    Read more