Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 88: Mother Armenia & Soviet Sites

    April 7 in Armenia ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Last day in Armenia we were hungover from partying with Ana and Enda. We checked out from the hostel at 11am but relaxed in the common area to recover. We met Connor from Canada who is traveling for two months through the Balkans and had also been to Patagonia. We hit it off immediately and planned to grab dinner and hit a brewery.
    We grabbed delicious Georgian soup dumplings and while eating we met Juan, Eva, and Evan from Indonesia and also invited them to dinner/brewery.

    For the remainder of the day we visited the Armenian Genocide Museum which was super informative and contained a beautiful monument to the atrocities. There are still tensions in the region between Turkey and Armenia, and many people still bring flowers to pay their respects to Armenia and also Palestine.

    Our final stop was the Mother Armenia complex, which was the most Soviet atheistic of the whole trip. The Ferris wheel and amusement park gave Call of a Duty Modern Warfare “All Ghillied Up” vibes and it felt like we were in Pripyat Ukraine. The Mother Armenia statue actually replaced a Stalin statue, but there were hammer and sickle carvings everywhere. It was wild.

    The night ended with a final Armenian meal and craft beers from Dargett with our new friends from Canada and Indonesia.

    Restaurants:
    Tumanyan Khinkali
    Tun Lahmajo

    Food:
    Khinkali
    Pelmini
    Imam bayildi
    Ostri
    Chakhokhbili

    Spots:
    Armenian Genocide Museum
    Mother Armenia
    Read more