Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 95: Pamukkale & Hierapolis

    April 14 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Turkey is a tectonic plate hotspot and the most active fault system in the world, meaning there are volcanoes, hot springs, and geological features. Deep in the country is Pamukkale where thermal spring water leaves carbonate minerals in huge white mounds, similar to caves and limestone.

    To enter the Pamukkale Travertines, you must take off your shoes and climb up the rigged mounds. At 8am the water was really cold, especially in the cliff’s shadows. However, as we climbed up, we had fun searching for warmer pools closer to the spring source.

    At the top is the Ancient Greek / Roman City Hierapolis, where the hot springs have been used as a spa since at least the 2nd century. There were preserved baths, theaters, houses, and statues and it was amazing to see the plumbing built to distribute the hot water around the city.

    We took a dip in the Cleopatra Antique Pool where you can swim in the ancient bath and climb on ruins. It was a very cool and relaxing experience.

    Many people would say the location is too touristy and not worth it, but we don’t agree. If you come to Turkey, add Pamukkale to your list.

    Hotel: Melrose Viewpoint Hotel

    Restaurant: Kayas Wine House

    Food:
    Turkish Breakfast
    Tuvok Saute
    Hummus

    Spots:
    Pamukkale Travertines
    Antique Pool
    Hierapolis
    Read more