Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 2

    Day 111: Venice in the Day Time

    30 aprile, Italia ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Hard Truths About Venice:
    Venice is at risk for being placed on the UNESCO List of World Heritage in Danger due to over-tourism, climate change, and the city sinking in the water. Many told us the city smells and it’s so crowded that you feel like crammed sardines. The city is attempting to curb these issues by charging a €5 visit fee, ticketing people for certain behavior (swimming in the channels), and encouraging folks to visit outside the busy season or during the weekday. Online sources and locals will tell you to visit the lesser known neighborhoods and get lost in the city.

    We managed to pick the perfect time to go to Venice and enjoyed the city despite other’s warnings. Visiting Venice on a Tuesday in late April led to the most perfect weather, less people, and an opportunity to eat at restaurants with locals who live and work in the city.

    We enjoyed wondering through the Castello neighborhood and viewing the water filled alley ways. We didn’t ride any gondolas, but we did go looking for Italian happy hour signs where you get free small bites with your drinks. Recorded our spots, neighborhoods, and restaurants below, and definitely encourage folks to visit Venice in late April/early May if possible.

    We left Venice in the late afternoon, got on a 4 hour train to Florence, picked up a tiny little rental car, and drove into Tuscany.

    Hotel: Casa Margheri

    Restaurants:
    Osteria da Alex
    Al Bagolo

    Food:
    Bruschetta (Tomato, Shrimp, Sardines)
    Pennette Allabrabblata
    Grilled White Fish
    Spaghetti Bolognese
    Aperol Spritz

    Spots:
    Church of Saint Mary of Miracles
    Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo
    Saint Mark's Basilica
    Procuratie Vecchie Venice
    Venice Neighborhood San Marco, San Polo, and Castello
    Leggi altro