Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Milford Sound

    December 26, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We took our time to get up to Milford Sound because we needed to be there at the 26th for kayaking. As we hiked a lot on the Kepler Track we relaxed a bit in a nice valley Campsite.
    For Christmas eve and Christmas we made some shorter hikes or just boardwalks. Among them a section of the Routeburn Track and a short walk to some mirror lakes. But it was too windy to get perfect reflections.
    Then we finally got to Milford Sound and the kayaking. It was our first time in sea kayaks and we had a blast!! The water was very calm so we came through the water pretty easy. Just after about 15 minutes we spotted a group of bottlenose dolphins right next to our Kayaks!! Apparently we were incredibly lucky as even our guide only saw three times dolphins in this season. Besides that the weather we had (sunny without a wind) only occurred once in 20 days :) Overall we had an amazing trip and experienced it in a special way. The only thing that is a bit disturbing to the beauty are the massive amount of planes going on tours there. On summer days it's the busiest airport in the world compared to the amount of inhabitants. After four hours of kayaking we returned to the parking lot with a bit of a sunburn.
    When we were driving back in the late afternoon we saw a Kiwi crossing the street :)
    Read more