Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Ayers Rock (Uluru)

    May 1, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    First thing in the morning we drove for 200km to have breakfast at the state border from South Australia to the Northern Territory. We were brutally attacked by millions of flies and barely managed to eat our breakfast. So we were glad to be back on the road and safe. With just a short stop at a gas station, we arrived to Uluru in the early afternoon.
    Uluru is an impressive sight standing tall and red out of the vast dessert. We decided to visit the Olgas first (Named after the Queen of Württemberg) which are a series of stone formations, formerly a huge monolite similar to Uluru but now eroded. Once again we were welcomed by a heap of flies trying to drink our souls so we decided to have lunch inside the car, with outside temperatures of 32 degrees, was more like trying to eat lunch inside of a sauna.
    Afterwards we went to explore the cultural center where the aborígenes explain a little bit their legends, stories and a brief introduction to their culture and beliefs.
    It was getting late, so we hurried to the sunset viewing point were we spent like 3 hours watching the sunset and waiting for the moonrise. During the day Uluru changes its colors several times depending on the sun's position, our favourite color was an intensely glooming red which can be appreciated at sunset.
    Some may say it's just a big rock in the middle of the desert, but the contrasts, colours and patrons are quite mystical, overall an amazing experience.
    Read more