Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Gunung Leser Nationalpark

    July 9, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    So, we took the bus again... It took us four days instead of the planned two days to cross the island of Sumatra 🙄 It was an experience but none of the kind that you need to necessarily repeat 😁 Our bus broke down once for around 16 hours, just to go to the repair shop again after 50km and a malfunction of the A/C.
    But then we finally made it to our last highlight of the Indonesia trip, a visit to the Orang Utans. Located about two hours from Medan, is Bukit Lawang. A small idyllic village nestled between jungle mountains and a river. We stayed right next to the river for one night and headed out for a three day jungle trek. So at 9 in the morning our guide led us deeper into the jungle while talking a bit about the flora and fauna. The first Orang Utans we saw were impressive and we couldn't stop watching them for more than two hours. Then we moved on and saw more of them but these ones were apparently aggressive towards humans. So the guides rushed us past them but at some point a teenage Orang-utan got close to Julia and touched her leg 😱 They showed clear signs of behavioural issues due to feeding and human interaction... This spoilt the experience a little bit for us. Also I got sick the next morning so we needed to quit our trip already on the second day. Despite that we still enjoyed our time we spent in the jungle :)
    Read more