Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Amman

    November 19, 2019 in Jordan ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We were so looking forward to this trip... I got woken up by Julia at 3 A.M. with a sparkling candle in one of my favourite sweet pieces for my birthday. Then we got ready and headed for the airport as the flight leaves at 6. We even got there early and had a small breakfast.
    Then we slept almost through all of the 4 hour flight and arrived quite rested. It took quite long to get through the visa procedure and until the bus started the hour long journey, followed by a short taxi ride and walk. So by the time we arrived at the hostel it was already 2:30 pm. Time to explore the city!
    The main highlight is the citadel hill with caves dating back to 3000 BC and newer structures established during the byzantine and roman era. It's quite a strenous walk up there but the views over the city are amazing... From there it goes down a winding street to the roman amphitheatre which was pretty nice. When we were done there, it already started to get dark. We tried to find a pretty famous spot with umbrellas on the ceiling but it was either closed or we didn't find it. But instead we found some delicious corn ;)
    On a side note it was super cold! In the night the temperature dropped to about 0 degrees! Not what we expected!
    A lucky find was our hostel that is situated right across one of the most famous 'restaurants' in Amman. You can't really call it a restaurant because there's no menu but the locals come here like some tourists. After you sit down you get a tasty tea, a plate of tomatoes, onions and pickles. Usually the mixed platter consists of Hummous, a tahini olive oil sauce, some falafel and pita. Optionally, there is a meat variant available (spiced ground meat), French fries and a bean mash with lemon. Everything we tried was sooo delicious!
    For the remainder of the day, we booked a rental car, planned a bit for the next days and went to a Shisha bar to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately all the cocktails offered were without alcohol. Despite - or because of - that they were very tasty.
    Read more