Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Baptism Site, Jerash

    November 22, 2019 in Jordan ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Finally a chance to sleep in a bit because our next destination just opens at 9. So we got to enjoy a really lovely breakfast in our hotel before starting the day. The entry to the Baptism Site of Jesus was included in our Jordan Pass but as an addition for around 7 Dinar. We go there later than expected and were surprised by the organisation... Every half hour leaves a shuttle bus to the location of the Baptism from the parking lot. It's not possible to get there by yourself as the whole area is a military zone. We arrived a few minutes too late to get the bus so we needed to wait for half an hour.
    The baptism site was a bit weird because you always needed to be with a guide. There is a direct border with the Israel controlled Palastine, just a few swimming strokes away. Therefore guards from both sides keep a close watch of the bathing activities. The ones on the Israel side were definitely more lively :) But it was an interesting experience even though I wasn't prepared to go in the water. Julia put at least her feet in the Jordan River.
    Due to the necessary tour and shuttle bus service it took until 12 to be back at the car and on the road. So we decided to skip Ajloun Castle and go straight to another famous site in Jordan, Jerash. It's an ancient byzantine and roman era city with a huge area of ruins. An impressive sight comparable to the ruins we visited in Sicily, Agrigento.
    At the end of the day we drove back to Amman to return the car and plan our journey to Israel. We bought some food for the trip and went out to eat again at Hamameh restaurant to conclude our Jordan part of the trip.
    Read more