Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Zielona Gora - finally

    October 11, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Anne reporting:

    Yes..we are on the road. We have decided to take the autobarn to make the trip a little quicker although it is still going to take us 4 1/2 hours. Maurice was brilliant, they have very good etiquette on the autobarn and it all flows well if you all follow the same rules. We did have a couple of traffic jams with road works and there must have been 100 semi’s bumper to bumper. An amazing sight to see. We arrived at our destination around 2 - beautiful new apartment in the old town square and just magnificent weather. We had a late lunch and Maurice couldn’t wait to practice his thank you in Polish....it was hopeless.

    The traffic on the way, in some places due to traffic was abysmal. There are thousands (literally thousands) of semitrailers (along with some trucks) on the road. Unfortunately for them, they are restricted to 100 kph and the slow lane. When traffic is forced to slow down they just get stuck one behind another and stopped. At one stage we must have crawled past a couple of hundred just idling away.

    We had a lovely walk around the square. We went down a small lane way that on one side had some great art of movie stars and then, on the opposite side, for some reason - Jesus. We found a local Aldi and did some grocery shopping and they have a middle aisle. Maurice bought what he thought was some sort of juice drink. Unfortunately it turned out to be a oats based fermented soup that you heat up to eat. Maurice’s turn to dry-retch 🤭.
    Read more