Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Rome Day 2

    November 15, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Up really early today (well before 6 am). Thought, why don’t we go out to the international airport for a look around? - airports are such great tourist sites!!!). We found an airport shuttle stop that was only 10 minutes away, though we did get lost walking there.

    So, there we were having a look around and as we walked past the arrivals door I had to do a double-take - who’s was that familiar, if a little tired looking, face we spotted? Wow 😮 it’s Carl!!!! Carl has flown over for the last 3 weeks or so of the European leg of our trip. It’s fantastic that he could come over.

    Back to the apartment but no rest for the jet-lagged. Carl has a shower then we head out in quite miserable rainy weather. As the saying goes “when in Rome...” so we took the metro to have a look at the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps then off to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. It is a ruin, but it’s a pretty special ruin and even in wet weather we were among the thousands there to have a look around. We really only had time to look at the Colosseum so we’ll back back tomorrow for the rest.

    Had the pleasure of again being fleeced (this time €20) for 3 leather bracelets sold to us by a gentleman saving up to visit his newly born daughter in Guyana. He even showed us a phone pic (although I’m pretty sure I saw a “shutter stock” watermark on the photo). The only saving grace was that Carl paid for them!!!!!!!

    Someone, anyone, shoot me. On the way back to the apartment we stopped at McDonalds. We’re in one of the food capitals of the world and we go to McDonalds 🙄.

    Relatively early night - especially for Carl (a 28 hour flight then 5 hours walking around Rome).
    Read more