Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Long travel day

    January 19, 2017 in Guatemala ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We had the choice of leaving at 6am followed by an 8 hour drive or leave later followed by a 12 hour drive. Alot of roadwork makes the journey slow.

    A no brainer there and we left at 6am.

    Lovely and peaceful on the lake at dawn.

    We stopped at a dreadful place for breakfast - overpriced and not very appealing. The only people who ate the food were the tour guide and the bus driver.
    I pulled out my groceries and most of the others had bread, chips or crackers! They did have ok smoothies which are generally available everywhere in Guatemala and are great in the hot weather.

    Then a tyre blew so there is the shadow of me taking a photo of the view. One of the aussie girls said she could change the tyre - good on her - I wouldn't have a clue.

    Every truck and car beeped at us!

    We drove through Guatemala City. Crazy traffic, lots of barbed wire protecting homes and businesses, gated communities with guards, businesses with guards - a good city to drive through I think.

    We reached Antigua and our hotel is a charming colonial building with lots of courtyards and a roof terrace which overlooks the city.

    We walk around town and its gorgeous. Lots of great cafes, bars and restaurants. Beautiful pastel coloured buildings. Not many street vendors so we end up in this hole in the wall place where two ederly women cook the food. You walk through a small shop and go out to the back. Its like being in their home.

    We had a traditional Guatemalan meal with
    two avocados each and loads of bread and tortillas. It was excellent and what a bargain!
    Read more