Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Volcano attempt number two

    January 29, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    I hiked up a live volcano and then slid down the side of it on volcanic ash on a wooden board at a 45 degree angle!!

    Never thought I would do that! The lawyer in me is saying an extreme sport will not be covered by insurance and is this a good idea!

    I did ask alot of questions though after the last debacle!

    This is the only place in the world where you can do this so I think it is a must. The volcano is Cerro Negro and it is one of the youngest and most active volcanoes in Central America.

    We set off at 6.30am in a four wheel drive and everyone had a proper seat! An hour's drive and then we started hiking. Check out my board!

    It wasn't too bad but it was abit slippery climbing over the loose volcanic rocks.

    Going early we missed the heat and the crowds. Its very windy at the top though. On go the protective suit, gloves and goggles and we are ready!
    Leaning back makes you go faster and you keep your heels on the ash as you go down.

    Some people can clock up speeds of 100km. The record is 175km on a bike but the guy that did that broke both his arms, legs, collarbone and various other bones on his first attempt when his bike broke in half!

    It was so much fun and I wanted to go faster but couldn't lift my heels up high enough! The guide said he was very impressed with my run! Some people didn't slide much at all and others only made it half way down. We all got covered in ash though with lots of grit and little rocks in our hair.

    Exhausting but exciting. After getting lunch we set off for Granada about three hours away.

    Once in Granada we get the most extensive and comprehensive safety briefing so far! Basically never go anywhere alone, if out at night get a taxi, if you go out at night beware of everyone, don't use any ATM that doesn't have an armed guard, only venture three blocks down the main street, avoid side streets, particularly the one that runs right pass the hotel!!, don't walk through any park after 5pm and then a list of alot of places you can't go near and a list of other places where you can go but you must get the hell out of there before 4.30 when its starts to go bad!

    We are all wondering if the hotel is the best place to spend our time!

    We head out for dinner and the main street and square are very lively. We have a great meal sitting outside with lots of street entertainment.

    An excellent day!!
    Read more