Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    How many people can you fit in a boat!

    February 10, 2017 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Set off in the pouring rain for Panama.
    We have been told that alot of places in Panama don't accept credit cards and if they do expect up to a 15% add on.

    Border crossing was a slow process. Sometimes you can lose the will to go on! Alot of queuing in the heat and dragging your bags up and down rocky hills for this one.

    Then a boat to Bocas del Toro. This ride would not pass any safety standard! Really overloaded with people and baggage and they didn't have enough life jackets. So the guide said they had to get more before we could set off.

    Then the boat went way too fast for the conditions so every time the boat went over a wave it was like hitting cement.

    After hotel checkin we got on a public bus and went to Starfish Beach on the other side of the island. Interesting fact about starfish is that if you take them out of the water even for a second they die.

    The beach was gorgeous - lovely blue clear water which was nice and warm, blue skies and palm trees.
    My new thing is palm trees - love them and taking lots of photos of them.

    Had the funniest lunch with the Panamanian version of Manuel! Everyone basically had combinations of fish chicken rice salad fries and plantains with different sauces.
    Over 10 of us so a bit of a memory challenge!
    Then he said he would write it all down so the pen and pad came out and he started to make varoius marks.
    Later the guide told us that he can't read or write but thinks that a proper waiter should write things down so he pretends!

    Then when the meals came out it was chaos - sometimes he would say it was chicken when it was fish and the combinations were all over the place.
    At one stage he was wandering around with cokes saying he didn't know who they were for and put them on the table still chatting away.
    He was so charming and off beat - highlight of the day!

    In the end we said to just put the meals on the table and that we would sort it out!

    I would definitely go back! We saw him in town the next day and he gave us a very cheerful hello.

    There were lots of little cafes and bars along the beach some with really loud music so we found the quietest spot we could.

    So a great afternoon. Then avoiding the group dinner like I do most nights another like minded tour member (who has said she will never travel in a group again!) and I go to a great restaurant right on the water where every thing is home made. And it had great music! Had a very good spaghetti bolognese and a Chilean glass of red.

    Lovely day!

    Last photo is the border between Costa Rica and Panama. Most of the borders have car wash like contraptions which spray trucks.
    Read more