Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Off to the Amazon

    February 26, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Sacha Lodge to be precise. But very hard to get out of my Wyndham Hotel bed - could have stayed there all day watching TV.

    So the amazon is an hour flight, 2 1/2 hours by boat, a 20 minute walk and then a half hour canoe ride away!

    It produces 75% of the world's oxygen - the lungs of the world.
    Ecuador's amazon is small but has an extensive biodiversity.

    The lodge is upmarket and when at capacity accommodates 65 guests. We have about 40 I think. You are divided into groups of 4 -5 and each group had a naturalist and a native guide. The native guide spots the animals/insects.

    Only ceiling fans in the room and the fast speed is not that fast but its a very nice room and bathroom. There is also a balcony with a hammock but not sure if it will be too humid to lay in.

    Think I will be having several cold water showers a day. So humid!

    So after snacks, briefings and room settling we have dinner and then do a night walk.

    Its beautiful here and the jungle is lush. No rain for a couple of weeks which is unusual but we are lucky that it rained earlier as it means more animals and insects will come out. When its hot they are hard to spot.

    So early starts - 5.30am! We will do walks and/or canoe trips morning, late afternoon and night. Siesta time during the hottest part of the day.
    Read more