Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Breckenridge

    December 27, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌫 -12 °C

    Today I am off to Breckenridge. Want to check it out but more importantly try and get an Australian to US adaptor as we left ours in Aspen. Sandy very kindly let mum use her oxygen overnight as she couldn't use the cpap without the adaptor. Also mum is feeling the effects of the altitude more now.

    Aspen is 2438 metres above sea level and Alma 3158 metres. I am also feeling it with a constant headache.

    The drive is very pretty and Breckenridge goes all out with lights at Christmas. Lots of shops to look at and the houses are very cute. Its a very busy town as there are lifts/gondolas taking skiers straight to the mountains from town. This means parking can be scarce and when the skiers come off the mountains traffic jams.

    I had read up and knew there was a free parking area as you entered town not too far from the main street. There are also free buses taking you around town.

    So had a lovely time looking around and the day went very quickly. Decided to stay until the evening so I could see the lights. No adaptor - would probably have to go to Denver to get one so organised for a portable oxygen machine with the transaction being done in the carpark! Rang from the tourist office then met the oxygen guy in the carpark.

    Then a 30 minute drive back in the dark through the overpass which has lots of hair pin turns and of course its snowing. Maybe I didn't think this through!

    Thankfully the B&B is so lit up it could probably be seen from space!
    Read more