Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Honningsvag

    January 26, 2020 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ -5 °C

    Ok so no snow down south and up north we have blizzards and avalanches so the road to the north cape is closed which is a shame.

    The north cape is the northern most part of europe that you can reach by road. In summer it is often covered in clouds so it can be a tricky place to see.

    Its only been open 12 days this winter and a group of Australians and staff were snowed in for 4 days last week. Apparently they always have enough food for a month.

    In bad weather the road to the towns and homes up north operate in a convoy with a snowplough in front and an end truck and they go twice a day depending on the weather.

    The road is icy and combined with the wind and the sun setting at about 1.30pm its a slow and dangerous drive. Its one of the most dangerous roads in the world which is why you can only travel in a convoy in bad weather.

    So with the north cape road closed we were stuck in Nordkapp for a while and because the lady who runs the only shop knew we were coming through she opened the shop and was ready for us. Good commercial move as trapped people shop and eat!

    We had to wait to see if the convoy would operate to Honningsvag where our hotel is.

    So after a couple of hours the convoy set off and it was the most beautiful drive.

    Then once we arrived we went for an afternoon stroll in the dark around the deserted town. On weekends the nords stay inside and all the shops are closed on sundays. The sun rises about 9.30am and sets around 1.30pm.

    And its Australia day.
    Read more