Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6 - Takayama, Japan

    April 1, 2018 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    We were up very early again and out of the hotel just after 6am. As the bus to Takayama was unreserved we had no idea how busy it may be and we wanted to catch the 7:50am bus. We had no need to worry as there were only a handful of people on the bus. It traveled over and through the alps on some very windy and tunneled roads, even past more snow. The journey was 2hrs 20mins. We arrived in Takayama at 10:15am. Our hostel was found easily, just a block from the station, so we dropped our bags as we could not check in until 3pm.

    So walking we went through the old preserved parts of town up and down the busy streets. Jason tried the Hida beef sushi (1000¥) and the Hida beef skewers (1000¥), he thought it was great. To me it was just meat and not worth the $20ish we just paid. But it is famous in this region. We past a butcher shop and some restaurants that a dish costs more than our 2 nights accommodation.

    We also walked up to Kitayama park at one end of town past the Hachiman shrine. It was an uphill walk for a good while, though provided a great view of the city. Buggered, we made the trek back to our hostel just before 3. We have a 4 bed room with private bathroom for 2 nights (31,600¥).

    We are having no luck with restaurants. We decided on a place to go only 2 blocks from our hostel. When we got there we discovered a closed today only sign on the door. So we walked down the street a little and ended up at a cafe. The staff were super friendly and gave the kids lots of origami. Dinner and drinks was only 3,500¥.
    Read more