Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 10 - to Tokyo via Aizuwakamatsu

    March 5, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    We left the hotel early and caught the 7:34am Shinkansen to Koriyama. From here we changed to a local train bound for Aizuwakamatsu, the journey takes 1hr10mins. We wound our way through some snow, but were blessed with great, albeit cold weather.

    From Aizuwakamatsu station we caught the hop on/ hop off bus (¥1500 for adults plus entry into the 3 main attractions pass, ¥600 if just the bus)

    We ended up on a 10am bus bound for Tsuruga Castle, we toured the castle and grounds, then rode the bus bound for Oyakeun gardens for a lap of the lake, then we were hungry, so 4 gaijin entered a local 7-11 for lunch. I had a great carbonara for ¥360, Oscar a hamburger for¥189.

    After this we headed back by bus to Sazaedo pagoda which is a wooden double helix structure built in the 1700's (included in our ticket). From here we headed up the hill to the 19 tombs site of the byakkotai warriors. Back down the hill we visited the Byakkotai memorial hall (also included in our ticket).

    Then we headed back to the station where we managed to jump on the waiting 15:05 train, for the 3hr journey back to Tokyo.

    Aizuwakamatsu was much bigger than we had anticipated and it is very spread out so not great for walking. The loop buses run on a half hour schedule.
    Read more