Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Col del la Morte

    October 9, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We had a nice lay in this morning listening to the cows with there cowbells ringing away before leaving Wanda at 9am and walking up into Beaufort for some breakfast from the local patisserie. A Beaufort Cheese and Ham croissant was ordered 3 times and we all enjoyed them, but Beaufort cheese is extremely rich so you probably couldn’t eat a lot of it.
    From Beaufort we travelled south, towards the Le Grandè Mason, a huge reservoir with a damn holding the water back, then we climbed the Saint Alban des Villards stopping to to take some drone shots before descending and then climbing Saint Colombon des Villards with an average gradient of 8% peaking at 18%, but Wanda did great making the climbs and then descending down to le Viaduc du Lillè. From here we chose a camping spot, we didn’t realise it at the time but this would involve 14miles of ascending at another average gradient of 8% it it took us the best part of an hour to get there but finally we arrived 1370 metres up at le Col de La mortè, it looked like it could snow but luckily for this camp we have electric, showers and toilets......... and so far it’s all free.
    Read more