Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    More hotsprings in Arnedillo

    November 10, 2021 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    We woke up to a beautiful sunrise at 7am and I was tempted to send the drone back out and get a sunrise shot, but I thought that might be tempting fate and instead closed the blinds so I couldn’t see what I was missing.
    After a sausage baguette for breakfast we left Bakio on another long drive inland. 165 miles through some of the most spectacular landscapes of long sweeping roads through wine country where the grapevines were autumn colours of yellow and fiery red with a backdrop of mountains, churches and castles and at 1pm we arrived in Arnedillo, in the motorhome park up for €10 euro per night.
    It is a beautiful airè and after lunch we headed down the hill into town to bathe in the hot springs. These were the perfect temperature and we stayed for about 30 minutes before Ellie said she was starting to feel sick again and I must admit I was feeling a little tipsy.
    We walked back to Wanda and by the time we got there I did feel quite happy drunk and probably could have just fallen asleep but we got dressed and then headed down a small track from the motorhome airè that ran along the mountains side and down to the town towards the castle. On the way down we saw what I thought were cave houses carved into the cliff face under us and in reaching them we realised they were infact bodagos for storing wine and there were hundreds and they all looked like hobbit houses. Then we headed for the castle which you can no longer get into but the view of the town from the castle is amazing.
    Then we took the hike back up hill to Wanda where we made dinner and chilled for the rest of the evening. It was crazy to watch the temperature drop from 23°c when we arrived to just 3°c by the time we went to bed.
    This town is one of the quietest we’ve stayed in considering it’s so busy down below and it feels very authentic, I think I’d be happy to settle somewhere like this.
    Read more