Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Khama Rhino Sanctuary to Pilansberg.

    March 18, 2022 in Botswana ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Everyone was up by 6am, we’d all had a mostly good nights sleep although it had been a chilly 19°c but everything was still slightly damp from yesterday’s rain and first port of call was a hot shower. It was the best shower we had, had in 3 weeks. Piping hot water, excellent pressure I think I would have spent the day in there had the shower head been slightly higher than my head.
    Back at camp, Pieter was up wrapped in his duvet to avoid the very cold wind and reigniting the fire getting ready to do us a cooked breakfast. And while I put the kettle on for coffees Pieter cooked us sausage and eggs with rolls.
    At 8:45am we piled back into the car, passed through the reception of the Khama Rhino Sanctuary having seen nothing except birds and a wilderbeast and headed back to Serowe to collect our covid tests for 9:30. Luckily we all tested negative and it was back in the car for a 700km drive to Pilanesberg.
    For the first couple of hours most of us slept, there was nothing much to see except a straight road with grass and hedges for miles and miles. Eventually, at 3pm we came into the capital city of Gabarone and exited Botswana then passing troops of monkeys we re-entered South Africa. We will be sad to leave Botswana passing wild animals on the roads as nothing is fenced off and the local people are so friendly.
    100km into South Africa, at 4pm we stopped in a small town for snacks and beer and I bought 1kg of Biltong and had it shrink wrapped to get back to the UK. Biltong is like beef jerky only seasoned and much nicer.
    By 5:30pm, we had 100km left and I think delirium had set in as we passed through a small town and at every speed hump everyone went “Weeee” and did a Mexican wave..
    Then finally at 6.30pm after 700km with Caren the car rattling away we arrived at Pilansberg for our final camp. Unfortunately for us the place was heaving and we found the last camping spot right next to the toilets, went straight over to the restaurant and had dinner and some drinks and then returned to camp to pitch our tents in the dark. We had no fire, but Pieter had brought a bottle of Amarella and between the 5 of us we drank the whole bottle washed down with some beers, reminiscing over the past 3 weeks and at 11pm we all turned in to our tents. The camp was noisy with people talking and going back and forward to the toilets so I knew we were in for a rough night but this was our final night of suffering and we would be up super early for our last game drive and to hunt for the illusive leopard.
    Read more