Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Deûlèmont

    October 4, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Our next stop was a 50 mile drive right on the border of Belgium and our original plan was to cycle a remembrance circuit of war graves from world war 1 but that changed once I saw how busy the local roads were.
    I had already plotted a parking spot to sleep at in a small village called Deûlèmont before we left home and it was on a river bank and we arrived just after 2:30pm. Fortunately for me there is also a veloroute that runs the length of the canals along eastern France and into Belgium spanning a total of 365km so I twisted Ellie’s arm into cycling some of that with me instead.
    Just before 3pm we set off at a slow pace and rode 15km down to the city of Lillè before turning around and heading back. It was a beautiful gravel route, with runners, other cyclists, and completely traffic free. The whole route ran alongside the canal and there were massive barges hauling stuff up and down the entire route. This part of France does seem quite industrial but on the cycle paths you would never know.
    We got back to Wanda at 5:30pm and Ellie’s backside was grateful we had stopped. The sun had also disappeared behind clouds so it was also getting a little chilly.
    Back at our parking spot there is just one other Motorhome and a few parked cars. We’re well away from any main roads and it is very quiet so hopefully we’ll have a peaceful nights sleep.
    Read more