Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Wurzburg

    October 19, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We arrived in Wurzburg just after 2pm after stopping at Lidl on the way to get some fresh bread and bakery bits. Ellie had found us a parking spot at a sports Center car park for the night, so far we’ve been lucky and still haven’t paid for any overnight stops.
    Getting to the sports Centre was a nightmare as it was right in the city centre, and neither of us really understand the right of way system here so in the end I drove through the city, Turned around and then parked so I didn’t have to cross the flow of traffic. You might think that a little bit of a cop out but the traffic here consists of cars, trams, buses, people and bikes. I do feel as though I need eyes in the back of my head.
    As soon as we parked we ate the bakery bits we had just brought and I checked the city on google maps and then we locked Wanda up with a chain through the front doors and the security lock on the outside and set off to see what was about.
    During WW2 a large majority of Wurzburg was destroyed but famous land marks have been re-built to the exact medieval specification they were previously, including churches and cathedrals and some streets.
    It took us about 45 minutes to walk to what is now called the old town because it looks old with its new buildings and new shops, and then it started raining. We walked through the market square looking around the very small market and made our way to one of the churches which was free entry and although the outside was amazing the inside was abit of a let down.
    Then we went to the cathedral that has been fully rebuilt and it is magnificent. We could even get into the cloisters underneath. There were lots of rooms, all with different altars in and it seemed like 5 or 6 smaller churches with a big one in the middle. It’s a strange but magnificent building.
    From there we walked back the way we had come until we got to the old bridge which is now foot traffic only and there were hundreds of people dotted along it drinking wine. It seemed to be the thing to do.
    Crossing the bridge we then took the very steep walk up to the old city fortress and to walk the grounds was also free but to go inside the museum was €5 each.
    We didn’t go inside and if we wanted to see inside the fortress that was even more money and by guided tour only, but what we did see was amazing and once we got to the top we had a magnificent view of the whole of Wurzburg.
    It’s an unbelievably busy city and does remind me of London. Infact considering it’s out of season all of Germany has been incredibly busy and it’s mainly been Germans travelling.
    From the fortress we walked back to Wanda and when we arrived it was 5:45pm and we had walked 6 miles. Not bad for someone with a cracked rib, but I have found out today that sneezing is excruciatingly painful.
    Back in Wanda Ellie made a dinner of Lasagne with fresh bread from the bakery and then it was time to settle in for the night. Tomorrow we start heading south following the route of the romantic road.
    Read more