Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    The longest Day Pt 1

    March 2 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    We were up at the unearthly hour of 3am and after getting dressed quickly we headed into the lounge to wake Ben up from sleeping on our sofa. We all looked and felt like death warmed up as we didn’t get to bed until nearly midnight and didn’t get much sleep in that time. After a quick coffee we headed out the front door checking everything was locked behind us at 3:30am and then it was a 40 min drive for Ben to drop us off at Norwich airport.
    It was now 4:10am and we were 2 hours early for our 6:10am flight and the second people to arrive in the airport. It was eerily quiet.
    Within 10 minutes the KLM girls had opened the check in and I dropped my rucksack off. It was our only bag for the hold and weighed a measly 14kgs. This is the lightest we’ve travelled with backpacks.
    Once the bags were checked in we passed through security and we both had the usual thing with Norwich airport where they like to be seen to be doing something and my camera bag was checked twice and our fluids were checked.
    We had just over an hour in the airport lounge and we spent that time talking to an elderly American man from North Carolina who was on his way to Germany to meet his German girlfriend, he was quite interested in how brexit had affected us.
    At 5:45am we boarded our little city hopper plane and at 6:10am we took off, on time and with no delays and we touched down 10 minutes early in schipol airport but then took another 10 minutes driving to our arrival gate.
    We were now an hour ahead of the uk and it was now 8am. Our first stage of today was over and we had 2 hours in Schipol airport before our next stage which we weren’t looking forward to as it would be 10 hours of flying time.
    Read more